Wednesday 24 September 2014

Album 3: - (Children's Bedtime Stories)

This particular 'album' choice on the brief interests me very much, as I have often previously heavily expressed my interest in the world of children's illustration heavily in the past. This can clearly be seen in the 'Book of Drawings' unit, which was the final unit featured in the 'Principals and Fundamentals of Drawing' module, during last term.

In module two, which was entitled narrative illustration, I solely focused on the theme of children's book illustration. My self directed children's book called 'A Short Tail', featured animals in a cartoon/realistic hybrid fashion, with human characteristics, for example through intelligence and vocabulary.

The below images feature work that I have done in the past, tying in the theme of children's illustration from previous module work.


A page from my book of drawings project, (module 1).

Two experimental front covers from my narrative illustration project, (module 2).

After looking online, finding a good place to find a few examples of children's bedtime stories, I came across this link to a website, which showcases a vast amount of short bedtime stories. The listing of stories are split into different genres and topics, such as animal stories, adventure stories, and fairy tales, as well as traditional, and fables.

http://www.bedtimestoriesonline.org < reference taken from this link.


http://www.bedtimestoriesonline.org < image reference at this link.
This is a very good site featuring a wealth of examples of children's bedtime stories, however, I would like to get my hands on a few books containing short stories as well, as well as preferably some albums containing bedtime stories in an audio format.

Image reference found on the iTunes store, by typing children's bedtime stories.

Screenshot taken from Spotify.
A wealth of children's bedtime stories can be found on the internet in digital format. For example, here, the image above shows me listening to an album featuring a fair few, on the music streaming service Spotify.

From what I have seen in stores, and online, existing examples of albums featuring anything that is children related, most of the time features animals on the front cover. I have a lot of experience in drawing animals, especially in the cartoon/realism form. (See images below).




Because of my experience in the past with children's illustration, this album is a candidate to move forward as part of my later project.





Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment