Wednesday 24 September 2014

Brainstorming Book

Now that I have chosen which album I will base my module on, (which is Kate Bush's 'The Hounds of Love'), I am in the process of creating a brainstorm book to give me a 'kickstart' in this new unit. I am using drawings, mind maps and notes. I will then use this initial development to help progress me further.

It is very important to represent the music and the artist, so I hope that by extensively researching, I will accomplish this at the end.




Some of my notes in the book, based on Kate Bush.

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhx0xt8VY_EAVbDi8v-EtaOCMtlzqN7IsAkqqJXqL6XRdpEQrcw4Ik2pyG_ECg-yQvtJL0wf9uJ1pgGr1D-TpormWAfttAph-W3ptY9QZ9_voFSpVMl4ob6jUL7_HqOJlIJ9ZeipclCvPv1/s1600/katebush.jpg < image reference at this link.

The original album cover art for 'The Hounds of love', (which for the record, was her fifth studio album, released in 1985), can be seen above.

I have the idea of attempting to use elements of dance as part of the final cover, I will of course sew how this works though drafts.
I already have a few ideas in my head, and I wish to explore them through development.

I have begun my development by sketching Kate in a variety of poses whilst watching her dance in such music videos as 'Wuthering Heights', 'Running Up That Hill', and 'Babooshka'.
I have implemented some colour in a few select sketches, so I can remember the colour of her clothes.



As you can see in the images above, I am far from my comfort zone. I am not used to creating such basic and featureless work, however by doing so I feel as if I am getting to the bare root of Kate, as an artist.
The rough sketches highlight movement and dance. I would love to incorporate this theme into my album cover. I will be looking to concept this in the future.

To help aid me in my research, I have also been watching this documentary on Kate Bush, (below).


It was originally aired by the BBC, in 2014. it is a very good documentary, that really goes into depth about her style, as well as her early career.

Whilst watching the documentary I once again started to sketch her.


Just one of my quick doodles, consisting of pen and pencil.












Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment