Monday 13 October 2014

Album Packaging layout

Now that I have established the design for my album cover, I must think about the layout design of the packaging.


A quick rough sketch of 2 common designs used in vinyl packaging.

There are multiple different types of packaging styles, when it comes to vinyl.
Some of the many types of packaging can be found in the image below. (Keep in mind, that my vinyl packaging will be 12").


http://www.rainborecords.com/temp.htm#12l < image reference at this link.


The most common layout designs, are a simple sleeve type of design, which acts like a pocket for the product.

This is a very common design, it has no real advantage over a gatefold design, other than it offering less canvas space, if that ever works for a design in some way.


Front Cover

Inside

Back

There is also a gatefold style of packaging.
A gatefold design offers more canvas space, by opening out and displaying illustrations inside.
Note the image below highlighting this.

This can allow for larger, or additional designs.

Front cover.

Inside.

Back.

As well as gatefold, there is picture vinyls.

Picture vinyls have many advantages and disadvantages compared to the other layouts.
An advantage being less packaging, which means it is better for the environment, however it means a very restricted canvas, that may not be as clear due to the grooves which may slightly distort the image.

A-Side


I would like to avoid creating artwork for a picture vinyl, as I want to include card packaging in my product. I have always personally found some picture vinyls quite tacky, and also they don't seem to provide a good image quality as the grooves make the image appear a bit fuzzed in my opinion.

With that, it is between going with either a sleeve design, or a gatefold design.

I love the classic sleeve style the most, so I will be opting to develop a sleeve style of packaging.

To get an understanding of how a vinyl record is assembled, as well as some measurements, I dissected a vinyl sleeve.

The vinyl sleeve dissected.

Note the flaps of card that allow the record sleeve to be pieced together.

Getting accurate measurements to make sure my vinyl template was the right size.


This would involve 2 sides to work with, and I must consider the design of the back of the album, as well as the front.

I found a great professional template on a website that I can use.

http://www.rainborecords.com/temp.htm#12l < image reference at this link.


http://www.rainborecords.com/temp.htm#12l < image reference at this link.

I will be taking my research on album packaging into consideration when I come to assemble my design.














Thomas.





No comments:

Post a Comment