Monday 13 October 2014

Poster Development #1 (initial thoughts)

For the illustrative poster based around my album choice, I must create an advertisement poster piece that is A2 in size.
This is quite a large size of paper, and a canvas size like this has a number of advantages.

For example, a large canvas size equals a lot of potential room for illustrations, as well as text.
A larger poster size equals a more eye-catching, compared to a small poster.


Like the album cover, the poster must also have a visual contemporary appearance to match Kate Bush's audience, and must also be aimed toward the same market as that of the album.
In an earlier research blog, I looked into a fair few existing advertisements that promoted other bands work, as well as some promoting Kate Bush's albums/shows to use for reference.

My vinyl cover carries themes, taken from the album.
The main themes being nature, and also the theme of paranoia (through use of natural forms and eyes).
There is a much deeper meaning behind these themes, these haven't just been placed onto the cover for the sake of it.

The theme of nature is carried across many of Kate's songs, and on the album 'Hounds of Love', it can be found in almost all of the tracks, the most notable including 'Hounds of Love', 'Cloudbusting', 'Under Ice', 'The Big Sky', 'Hello Earth', 'The Morning Fog', and 'And Dream of Sheep'.

I have focused on the track 'Hounds of Love' and its themes the most for the development of the album art.
The lyric, "It's coming for me through the trees", really stood out to me in its theme of nature, and the same lyric also stood out to me for the theme of paranoia, or being watched/followed.


For the poster I would like to create something on a grand scale. 
I want my poster to really catch the eye of the consumer, intrigue them about the album, and I would like for my large piece to consist of a very bold composition illustration.

I would like to include an element of weather or cloud formations into my poster, as there are a few songs that have inspired me.

The theme of weather is based on such songs as 'Cloudbusting', 'The Big Sky', and 'The Morning Fog'.

Adding a new theme into my work will also help to differentiate the poster slightly from the album cover, but whilst still carrying the same overall style.
I would hate people to view the poster as just simply the album artwork blown up onto an A2 design.

Over the past few days I have been taking photos of clouds, and even getting up early to take photos of morning fog/dew.
I hope that this will inspire me, and my poster development.














Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment