Saturday 25 October 2014

Editorial Concept #6, (Final Design)

In my last editorial development blog, I finally decided which concepts I was going to base the final design on.

My editorial illustration needed to work with a hypothetical interview with Kate Bush, discussing the album, 'Hounds Of Love'.
I tried working away from using a portrait style the for the editorial, since I wanted to explore with using an illustration that complimented the album, since Kate Bush was already established, and well known enough, to not have the article illustration focused on her.
You find the use of artist portraits a lot in editorial illustration, and I feel like this is uncessarrily overused for established artists.

I decided to go with concept #2, which was originally sketched as part of the album cover development.

Concept #2
The illustration that went on to become concept #2, was actually used in the final album design, but only as a very small part of the design, being featured on the back cover.

As you can see, the illustration wasn't a very prominent part of the design.

I felt from the start of the editorial development, that this illustration had a good chance of working on its own, due to its bold, and intricate level of detail. It also could have easily have been re-sized, in order to fit the required 15cm x 15cm size, as stated by the brief.

I used photoshop to re-size the image, and matching it to the require DPI, as stated by the brief.

Photoshop is a great tool for re-sizing images.
I knew the importance of adding a bleed to my design, and decided to opt for an industry standard size of 5mm. I also used photoshop to adjust the level of black in the image, after deciding to use a simple black and white style, resembling my album cover design.

My final editorial with a 5mm bleed.








Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment