Wednesday 29 October 2014

My First Screenprint

As I previously had a bit of bad luck with the idea of my screenprinting my poster/album cover/ ticket etc last week, I felt very disappointed as I thought I wouldn't be able to incorporate the printing process into my work for this module.

After completing all of my designs with the intention of taking them to print, I noticed after discussing the process via a consultation with Jade, that my images would be impossible to screen print, due to the use of different tones in my final illustrations.

I decided to go ahead with digitally printing my designs, which is still a very good method of printing at a high quality, and allows for more detail and tone to be used with no issue.

My digitally printed album cover.
I still wanted to do some form of screenprinted image, so I went down to the print room to talk to Jade. I decided to create a new illustration based on the imagery of a rodent, to put in my portfolio.

Sketching out the illustration on acetate paper, using a very fine black pigment pen.
I illustrated directly onto a piece of acetate, using an assortment of thin, super black pigment pens.

After this, I used solution on a mesh frame, and then after drying, exposed the illustration to the photo sensitive solution.


After using the vacuum machine, and then applying the exposure light, I left the mesh to 'burn' for about 20 seconds.

After taking the exposed mesh out, I quickly washed out the areas that I didn't want ink to fill, by using the jet wash.
This was a process that took around 5 minutes, and I accomplished a fine mesh print, to work with. This made me happy.

After letting the mesh dry, I inked up the screen printer, and used the squeegee tool to pull ink across the mesh, then pushed the squeegee, to 'fill' the mesh.
Now the image was ready to be printed, and I made 4 copies, with one appearing too saturated of ink, due to me overfilling the mesh.

The over flood copy, which caused ink bleeding.

Overall I am very happy with the screen printing process, and I now feel more comfortable with working in this method, in the future.
I feel like I can from start to finish, independently screenprint.




Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment