Tuesday 21 October 2014

Editorial Development #2 (Concepts)

I have come up with a few concepts to work toward my final interview editorial illustration, based on my album choice.
I want to go back to my research and themes that I touched upon in my brainstorm book.






I wanted to create some of my editorial concepts around the theme of dance, and movement.
Interview illustrations generally use a portrait theme, however, with Kate Bush already being a well known, and established artist, I wanted to experiment with a slightly different, and more unique approach, of using an editorial illustration to support the topic, that being the album 'Hounds Of Love', over imagery of herself.

Also, I think it also refers to her personality, as she is quite secretive, and is not seen in public often.


Concept #1:




I love the two tone design that this concept has, as well as how it captures an element of Kate's dancing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #2:

Original illustration.

I originally created this illustration as part of my album cover development, but I think that it could be worth considering using it as one of my editorial concepts, since I feel that it would work so well, as it will be more connected to the album design, compared to the other concepts.
Another thing is that it would be able to be sized to 150mm x 150mm very easily, and I could add some colour, or tweak the illustration in digital software such as adobe Photoshop, to allow it to be bolder than it is in its current form.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concept #3:


This concept takes a lot of inspiration from the song, 'Hounds of Love'.
There is a clear image of a hound in this concept design, and the borderless hound is made up entirely of eyes, referring to the theme of paranoia found in 'Hounds of Love'.

I think that this is a very strong editorial concept, and it appears to work well with a few of my other final pieces from other topics, such as the album cover for example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #4:




























Like concept #2, I originally created this illustration as part of my rear album cover development.
The illustration went on to be included as part of my rear cover, but it is such a good piece in my opinion, that I thought I could include it with my editorial concepts. I believe this image could work great as a stand alone illustration for editorial.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Concept #5



Concept #5 features a design that takes influences from 'Running up that Hill', in the way that the song is trying to convey a sense of struggle and dominance.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #6



This concept is very heavily typography oriented, and features a lot of themes and imagery from concepts found in my other project developments.
It is also a very bold design, and using the fine red pen to colour the iris, allows for the eye to stand out, compared to the contrasting white background, and the black typography.

I really do like this concept, however I think that I can look more into different fonts if I decide to refine this concept in the next stage of development.


















Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment