Tuesday 21 October 2014

Product Development #2 (Concepts)

For my product concepts, I will be basing the designs of the limited edition printed ticket around the album, 'Hounds of Love'.

This product will be a ticket for a theoretical live event, and I will judge the size of my ticket around an existing ticket that I came across, in order to get a realistic size to work with.


Measuring the existing ticket.
The ticket above, (that I am using as reference), has the dimensions of approx 18.6cm (W), by 8.2cm (H).

Ticket outlines in my concept book, which I will use to place the concepts onto.
The ticket feels well made, and contains card with a high GSM.
I have used these dimensions to come up with the base size for my limited edition ticket product.

As well as dimensions, I must also think of what needs to be on a ticket.
Going by the example ticket above, I see such features as a bar-code, seat and ticket numbers, as well as price.

Concept #1:



For the first concept, I based the ticket design around the song, 'Hounds of Love'.
I thought about using similar themes to the album.

The concept features illustrations on both sides of the ticket, and has the black and white style that I have been working in a lot over the course of this module.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #2:


Front


Back


This design consists of 2 large illustrations being featured on both sides of the ticket, and interestingly, this ticket concept incorporates themes from 2 different songs featured on the album, (Those songs being 'Running Up That Hill' (A Deal With God), and 'Hello Earth').

The fact that this design incorporates two designs makes this concept appealing, however, this comes with a compromise, as there is less space to apply ticket information, which is required for a ticket.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #3:



For the third ticket concept, I wanted to base the entire design on a lyric from 'Waking the Witch'.
In the song, Kate sings the line, "Red red roses, pinks and posies", and this line makes me think of flowers, particularly roses.

I wanted to suit my rose sketches to a contemporary audience, and I know that a simplistic design would be part of the contemporary style.
On the rear of the ticket, my design incorporates illustrative based typography.

I am not fond of this design, I feel as if this concept doesn't do the album justice, and it doesn't tie in well with my designs for example, the album.
Because of this, I will not be progressing with this design.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #4:



For concept #4, I used the theme of natural forms again, and created the imagery of a tree, with eyes for the leaves, the eyes of course referring to the paranoia themes found in such songs as 'Hounds of Love'.

The reverse side of the ticket uses similar elements of concept #3, by incorporating typography into the illustration.

Like the last concept listed, I am not fond of this design. There is too much white on the ticket, I don't think that the illustration covers enough of the design.
I want my design to be bold, and I just don't feel that this design is striking enough.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #5:



Concept #5 features a heavy use of typography.
I wanted to create a concept that focused on typography, because I thought it would be interesting to create a design that contained a few lyrics from songs on the album.
There are references to such tracks as 'Hounds of Love', 'Running Up That Hill', 'Cloudbusting', and 'Hello Earth'.

It is a very strong design, that I think might not work as the final design as it lacks an illustration.
However I could take some of the elements of typography from this design, and place it into the final design for my ticket product.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Concept #6:



My last concept for the development features an illustration that incorporates the use of typography.
It revolves around the imagery of space, connecting the design to 'Hello Earth', and the theme of paranoia which refers to the song 'Hounds of Love'.

It is a similar style to the illustration featured on the rear cover of the album design, which again mixes typography with illustration.

Unlike concept #4, I feel like this design is much more bolder, and I really think that the two tone colour scheme, especially on the back, is very eye catching.
Perhaps I could incorporate the use of tone featured on the back of the ticket concept, and experiment with this on the front.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


It is worth noting that my concepts are draft representations of what I could use as my product design.
They are used as as a way to progress in development, leading up to a final product.





Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment