Monday 20 October 2014

Editorial Development #1 (initial thoughts)

My editorial piece will be focused on the promotion of the album, via an hypothetical interview.
My album choice is 'Hounds Of Love', and I was thinking instead of using the plain imagery of Kate Bush, since she is already established enough to be recognised, I could use imagery to support the article, and since it is based on my album, it will reflect the content.
I figured just because the criteria stated an interview editorial, that didn't mean that I had to make a portrait of Kate, I personally want to try something new, and more exciting.

An editorial illustration can be used in for example, a magazine, a newspaper, or an online article.

http://nerdprint.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Middle-Boop-Editorial-Design.jpg < image reference at this link.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/designrelated-images-final/portfolio_file_items/251/6816/original_scaled/relevant_mag_1.jpg < image reference at this link.

I have been looking at a few existing examples of editorial illustrations, from a number of different editorials.

For example, I have been looking at a few magazines and newspapers, highlighting the use of editorial illustration via post it notes.






Looking at primary research has been very beneficial to me, as well as my development on my editorial illustration.

I want my editorial illustration to have a similar style to that of my album cover, but I don't want a direct copy of the album's design.
I would like something a bit different, something that makes the editorial stand out from the others.

I want to come up with an editorial illustration that carries the same black and white style, which I adore, as I think suits the music, audience, and is importantly contemporary in style.

The editorial illustration will be based upon how an image would be displayed next to an article. In my case, my illustration will support a theoretical article revolving around an interview with the artist Kate Bush, on the 'Hounds Of Love' album.

My final editorial illustration must be submitted at a size of 150mm x 150mm, and at a DPI of 300.
Basically, in the shape of a square.

I will come up with some square shaped concepts, based on what I could work with toward my final editorial illustration.






Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment